

Please share one or more of your favorite family traditions.
(Just to get you all thinking, may I suggest a few examples... this can be a tradition from the family you grew up in, extended family, your current family... it may include traditional meals, birthday traditions, family reunion traditions, Christmas/holiday traditions, summer traditions, kids' bedtime routine traditions, favorite vacation spots, places you stop to eat on road trips, ways you celebrate special occasions, how you spend a Sunday afternoon, date-night ideas (does such a thing exist?)) If you can't think of anything, then maybe make up one that you would like to start.
For me, it's hard to choose just one cool tradition. Our family had so many. I absolutely loved having a birthday party every other year. Can anyone forget my surprise 16th with 2 bands, a helicopter spotlighting the house overhead and my dad kicking the drunk kids out the door? I also loved how mom would always "force" us to play games like pass the orange with your neck until we were all keeled over laughing. I loved how you could always count on the whole family coming to watch you play soccer or tennis and how Dad would always give in to our Slurpee requests afterward. At Christmas time, I secretly loved acting out the nativity story and all the silly Christmas stories and games we play every year (EVEN THOUGH WE ALL HAVE EVERY ANSWER MEMORIZED). With my new Preston family, I love making a fun occasion out of any holiday like the easter egg roll, corned beef & cabbage on St. Patricks and soup and "the witch" on Halloween. As for new family traditions, Mike and I enjoy having friends over on Sunday nights for games, ping-pong, and dessert. It's a great way to get to know new people and pack a last bit of fun into the weekend. Can't wait to hear yours!
(Just to get you all thinking, may I suggest a few examples... this can be a tradition from the family you grew up in, extended family, your current family... it may include traditional meals, birthday traditions, family reunion traditions, Christmas/holiday traditions, summer traditions, kids' bedtime routine traditions, favorite vacation spots, places you stop to eat on road trips, ways you celebrate special occasions, how you spend a Sunday afternoon, date-night ideas (does such a thing exist?)) If you can't think of anything, then maybe make up one that you would like to start.
For me, it's hard to choose just one cool tradition. Our family had so many. I absolutely loved having a birthday party every other year. Can anyone forget my surprise 16th with 2 bands, a helicopter spotlighting the house overhead and my dad kicking the drunk kids out the door? I also loved how mom would always "force" us to play games like pass the orange with your neck until we were all keeled over laughing. I loved how you could always count on the whole family coming to watch you play soccer or tennis and how Dad would always give in to our Slurpee requests afterward. At Christmas time, I secretly loved acting out the nativity story and all the silly Christmas stories and games we play every year (EVEN THOUGH WE ALL HAVE EVERY ANSWER MEMORIZED). With my new Preston family, I love making a fun occasion out of any holiday like the easter egg roll, corned beef & cabbage on St. Patricks and soup and "the witch" on Halloween. As for new family traditions, Mike and I enjoy having friends over on Sunday nights for games, ping-pong, and dessert. It's a great way to get to know new people and pack a last bit of fun into the weekend. Can't wait to hear yours!
4 comments:
We have always had so much fun with our family, it is hard to just choose one tradition. So here are a few!
1.) I loved takeing trips as a family every year. Our trips to Cobo were my favorites.
2.) I loved going to McCayos every year for everyone's birthday when we were younger. I love that we would order the TCT special and I still to this day think of cheese quesadillas as TCTs.
3.) I loved and still love opening presents on Christmas day. We were all so excited and would hang out in each others room because we couldn't get the parents or Jamie up until after 6:30. It is so fun taking turns opening presents from oldest to youngest and having mom or dad camcorder everything.
I am SO glad you have a blog now! Your basement looks amazing...I am very impressed. Now you are ready for oodles of more kids! In other news, I know you and Mike like to take the occasional trip...you REALLY should come out to Boston some time this fall--we'd love to have you and show you around this amazing city.
Your boys are just adorable. I can't believe how big they are!! We have a family tradition of singing a song together before we say our family prayer. It was a great way as a family to learn the hymns and to set a spiritual tone before our prayer. I miss seeing your gorgeous smile. What a great mom you are. Hugs!
I hope you don't mind me crashing your blog, but I couldn't resist. It blows my mind to see you all grown up and with a family. The last ten years has gone by so fast I think my head is still spinning. I guess since I am crashing your blog I should at least participate in your question of the week. One of my favorite family traditions took place during Halloween. My dad would load us up in the bed of the truck and drive around the neighborhood so we could trick or treat. After the candy frenzy was over we would dump all of our candy into one big pile and take turns picking out a peice of candy. It was a great tradition, especially since I have a sweet tooth.
I am glad that I have found your blog. It's nice to know that you are doing so well. If you ever feel the need to drop me a line my email is Airboy55@yahoo.com ( I know it's a weird address. I share it with my hubby)
Leslie(Freeman)Thistle
Post a Comment